LegalityCFC takes great care to comply with all central and state legislation in India to ensure that our users are fully protected. Every contest on our platform is carefully designed to comply with applicable statutes and regulations in India.
Below are the key points from an Indian High Court’s judgement particularly regarding the fantasy games played. A challenge to this judgement was dismissed by the Supreme Court of India as well:
- The Court, in its ruling, stated that playing the fantasy game involves substantial skill, discretion and judgement and that success on fantasy games arises out of users’ use of the platform, superior knowledge, judgment and focus.
- The Court held that ‘the element of skill’ had a main influence on the result of the fantasy game as well, which follows the following format:
- Users have to select a team consisting of at least the same number of players as playing in a real-life sports team (e.g. 11 in cricket/football)
- All contests are run for at least the duration of one full sports match.
- No team changes are permitted by users after the beginning of the sports match.
- Finally, the Court held that the online fantasy games are legitimate business activity protected under Article 19(1) (g) of the Constitution of India.